Nerdify Reviews: Pros and Cons of Popular Hobbies for Students
If you’re looking for the best hobby for you as a college student, you’ve come to the right place. Nerdify reviews team wants to help turn your free time into an exciting and useful activity!
Which will be your pick? Will you choose to explore the world or let your creativity blossom? This blog post reveals the pros and cons of the most popular hobbies for college students and will help you make the right choice.
If you aren’t familiar with geocaching, it’s basically an outdoor hide-and-seek game using GPS. It’ll make you go to the places you’ve never been before, feel that treasure hunt rush, and have fresh air.
- Costs nothing, except maybe bus or train fare
- Will make you go outside
- You’ll feel like a treasure hunter
- Cool activity to do with friends and family
- Explore nature
- You’ll see your usual environment from a new perspective
- Easy to get sucked in, if that can be considered a con
Geocaching is fun and exciting, costs nearly nothing, and promotes physical activity – what’s not to love?
If you have ideas to write about, thoughts you’d like to save forever, or just practice writing, start your own blog. Plus, your blog can become a part of your professional portfolio.
- No limitations – you do you
- Will help you improve your writing skills tremendously
- You’ll learn a lot along the way
- Can potentially help you build a career
- You can make a difference in any field
- You can make money from it
- Connect with new people
- Requires regular updates
- You can get into writer’s block
- Trolling can get in your way
If you start a blog, your writing will live on, that’s for sure. If you’re willing to invest time and effort in it, you’ll surely get the benefits described above.
3. Crafting and Artistry
This is an awesome talent that you should absolutely embrace in your free time. It absolutely doesn’t matter what you can do – knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, cross-stitching, carving, drawing, painting, or DYI-ing things – all of it goes.
- You can let your imagination run wild
- You can create original, one-of-a-kind things
- You’ll always have awesome gifts to give to friends and family
- You can sell stuff and earn money from your awesome hobby (try Etsy)
- Whoever you tell about your hobby, will be in awe
- Requires patience
- Some materials can be up there in price
Make sure to take a moment to consider this great option!
There’s nothing more exciting than finding a cool item in a thrift store at a bargain price. Remember that one man’s junk is another man’s treasure!
- Value is usually way higher than the price
- You can find unique and valuable things
- Great way to find collectibles
- By thrifting, you are giving a second life to things, which is good for the environment
- Requires a lot of time
- Sometimes you’ll fail to find what you want, but don’t get discouraged.
Thrifting is a great idea however you look at it, so happy hunting!
If you’re already exercising on the regular basis, hats off to you. If you don’t – consider making it your hobby because it’s right for pretty much anyone.
- Increase energy
- Look younger and feel better
- Overcome the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle
- Maintain healthy weight
- Improve body strength and posture
- Depending on what you do, there’s risk of injury, so make sure you know what you’re doing
- If you choose to go to the gym, it can be expensive
You don’t need gym membership to go for a run every morning, so invest your time in yourself!
6. Playing an instrument
This is a hobby that always makes people go, “Wow!” when you tell about it. If you already can play an instrument, use your free time to perfect your skill. If not, you can spend your time learning how to play an instrument.
- It’s awesome and cool
- Makes you stand out
- Trains your brain
- Can become a source of income one day
- Instruments are expensive, but you’ll rarely have to buy a new instrument
If you play for your own enjoyment or want to finally learn to play an instrument, it’s the perfect time to start!
Being good at taking pictures is a great skill you’ll be able to use your whole life and you don’t need an expensive camera to be an awesome photographer.
- Experience pleasure in photography
- People will ask you to take pictures
- Keeping precious moments forever
- Requires no investment (who said you can’t use your smartphone camera?)
- Can become a career
- If you decide to invest in a camera and gear, be prepared to spend a lot
Photography is a beautiful hobby and requires only one thing – your passion.
Cooking is an essential skill to have in life. We live in the world of processed foods that aren’t that great for us, so why not learn how to cook yourself?
- You’ll eat tasty foods
- People will praise your cooking skills
- You’ll learn how to save money on food
- You won’t want to return to McDonald’s ever again after making your own chicken nuggets
- Ingredients might be expensive depending on the recipe
Cooking is a great hobby to treat yourself, literally.
9. Urban exploration
You probably think you know the area you live in pretty well, but often there’s a lot more to discover. Exploring your environment is an exciting hobby that will become a source of never-ending topics to discuss with friends!
- Learn to find your bearings on the ground
- Find fun and interesting places to spend time
- Find what to share with friends and family
- Find great places to study (cafés, libraries, etc)
- Take lots of great pictures if you want to
- Might require some research
Become a tourist in your own city for one day – it might just be the coolest hobby you can find as a college student!
Most people who have tried origami, have probably tossed it after failing to fold a crane. If you’re a tough cookie, you’ll nail even the hardest tasks! P.S. We have a very passionate origami-fan in our Nerdify reviews team too!
- Easy to find tutorials
- Helps focus
- Very low cost
- Might be frustrating when it gets too challenging
For a college student, origami is a cool hobby that is cheap and fun, so give it a try!
11. Learn about art
If some of the best places you’ve been to is the art museum, you might consider making learning about art your hobby. You can watch retro movies, learn about the history of fashion, or focus on specific periods in art history.
- Broadens your horizons
- Can make for a long-term hobby
- Isn’t a too relaxing hobby for a busy student
Make learning about what you love about your hobby!
12. Learn a new skill that pays
It’s always great to do what you love for money. You can learn how to do manicure, cut and style hair, do makeup, or carve wood. All these hobbies can help you earn money as a college student.
- You get to improve your skills
- You can earn from a hobby
- Requires having good skills, to begin with
Hobbies that pay are among the most popular hobbies for college students!
Whichever hobby you pick, remember that the best one will be the one that you are passionate about. Nerdify reviews team agrees on one thing: pick whatever puts a smile on your face and you’re golden!